Saturday, September 9, 2017

Why I Chose A Clinical Trial For My Cancer Treatment



A weird thing is happening, and I feel like it is the best practical joke I have ever played. I'm giggling every time I think about it.

In June I spoke at the CCF dinner in Chicago to a group of cancer research donors. The speech was recorded, and many of you visited the site that I shared to watch the recording. Then last month I happened to log on to conquer.org to get some information, and lo and behold my smiling face staring back at me! I shared, and many of you visited the site then.

Well, turns out CCF has a pretty enormous ad buy with whoever is in charge of the internet these days, and if you've been to conquer.org in the past 100 years, my smiling face is there to greet you on ANY webpage you're visiting.

Shopping for fishing supplies? Here's a smile from Brittany. Reading the news? There I am! Researching for a term paper? Well, here's Brittany to keep you company.

Every time I think about it I laugh literally out loud. You can't even check the score of the game last night without my face saying hi and helping you along. Best. Joke. EVER!!!


Joking aside, I really love that I am able to partner with CCF in their efforts to fund new cancer researchers. In our happily ever afters, we so easily forget that cancer can happen to anyone, that none of us are immune. I think a picture of a twenty-something and her little miracle girl convey that reality in a powerful way.

Someone asked me in an interview recently what my reasons were for participating in a clinical trial, if I could expand on the idea of giving to scientific knowledge, and to encourage others to do the same. To be honest, I chose to participate in a research trial because it was my only option. I'd spent a lifetime hoping that my ASPS wouldn't metastasize, because every medical resource declared stage IV ASPS a death sentence. So when my oncologist said "There may be hope with this clinical trial, this one clinical trial," I jumped all over it.

It wasn't until later in my story that I was able to recognize the significance of the research element of my treatment. Everyone on my trial is monitored very closely for side effects and changes in disease. This data is collected and quantified, then sent to someone somewhere in the pharma industry who decides that because x number of patients on the trial have responded well (represented by the quantified data), they will be able to make the treatment available by prescription and covered by insurances. That means that my participation is allowing others to receive a treatment with a stage IV diagnosis, not a death sentence. As a cancer patient, this is among the most meaningful contributions to humanity I feel I could possibly make. There are unique risks with clinical trials, especially with new drugs or combinations since we often don't yet know the side effects. But that meaningful contribution to someone else's treatment is truly invaluable, especially when you consider the volume of patients that could benefit from your contribution for generations to come.

If ever you are given the option to participate in a clinical research trial, I hope you will consider doing so. A group of Renal Cell Carcinoma patients chose to participate in a Phase I clinical trial of axitinib/pembrolizumab to test its safety at varying doses. Because of their participation, that drug combination was allowed to move into Phase II studies, one of which is my axi/pembro trial. I am benefitting from their contribution and sacrifice, as I hope others will benefit from mine.

If you want to learn more about clinical trials, here are some resources:

  • This article from my oncologist in Miami
  • Q&A from clinical trials.gov
  • Comprehensive info from American Cancer Society

3 comments:

  1. Hello everybody,

    I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since last three years with my boyfriend but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of  PRIEST WISDOM  the great healer, I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how  PRIEST WISDOM   cure his herpes I was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all PRIEST WISDOM brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  you can call him or whatsApp his number   +2348124644470 


















    Hello everybody,

    I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since last three years with my boyfriend but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of  PRIEST WISDOM  the great healer, I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how  PRIEST WISDOM   cure his herpes I was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all PRIEST WISDOM brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  you can call him or whatsApp his number   +2348124644470 
















    Hello everybody,

    I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since last three years with my boyfriend but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of  PRIEST WISDOM  the great healer, I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how  PRIEST WISDOM   cure his herpes I was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all PRIEST WISDOM brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: Supernaturalspell1@gmail.com  you can call him or whatsApp his number   +2348124644470 

    ...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ✅BINARY SCAM RECOVERY

      ❌ Binary Option, Forex and their likes are a means of making money but it’s more like gambling. There are no sure means to guarantee that a person could make profit with them and that’s why it can also be reasoned to be scam. Let’s not forget that some individuals even give you 💯 % guarantee of making profits and end up running away with your money. The internet today is full of Binary Option Recovery Scam, you see so much testimonies been shared about how a firm or Company helped them recover what they lost to Binary Options. But believe it, it’s just a way to lure more people and end up scamming them.

      ❌ You might have also come across some individuals that say they will give you guarantee on successful trades but they only end up as SCAMMERS as well. You here them say stuffs like 200% guaranteed in just 2 weeks and when you go into trade with them, they start telling you to pay profits percentage before you can get your income. These are all liars please avoid them. But if you have been a victim of this guys, then you should contact PYTHONAX now‼️

      ✳️The big Question is “Can someone Recover their money lost to Binary Option and Scam⁉️
      I will say yes, and will tell you how.

      The only way to Recovery your money back is by hiring HACKERS to help you break into the Firms Database Security System using the information you provide them with, Extract your file and get back your money. It seems like a really impossible thing to do, I will tell you, it should be impossible, but with the use of specially designed softwares known to HACKERS and Authorities (such as The FBI, CIA e.t.c) it is possible and the only way to recover your money.

      ✅ PYTHONAX are a group of hackers who use their hacking skill to hunt down SCAMMERS and help individuals recovery their money from Internet SCAMMERS.
      We just need the contact details of the SCAMMERS and Paymnet Info and within 4-8 hours your money will be return to you.

      ✳️ You can contact us via the emails below-:
      PYTHONAXSERVICES@GMAIL.COM


      We also provide Legit Hacking Services such as-:
      🔸Phone Hacking/Cloning
      🔸Email Hacking & Password Recovery
      🔸Social Media Hacking & Passowrd Recovery
      🔸Deleted Files Recovery 🔸Mobil Tracking
      🔸Virus detection & Elimination.

      Email-: PYTHONAXHACKS@GMAIL.COM




      Pythonax.
      2020 © All Right Reserved.

      Delete
  2. Hello everyone my name is Sophie,i am from Canada I feel very happy to share my great and wonderful testimony with everyone on this platform..: I was married for 4 years to my husband and all of a sudden another woman came into the picture he started hating me and he was abusive and all because i never bear him a child. but i still loved him with all my heart and wanted him at all cost.... He filed for divorce and my whole life was turning apart and i didn't know what to do, he moved out of the house and abandoned me all alone,one day a very close friend of mine told me about trying spiritual means to get my husband back,so i went online to search and i came across so many spell caster who only wasted my time and took a lot of money from me,but i went back to her and told her that spiritual way has only taking my money and not yielding anything, and she  introduced me to a spell caster,drgurulovespelltemple@yahoo.com, so i decided to try it. although i didn't believe in all those things because of what i have gone through lately,i contacted the Doctor and explain all my problems to him and he told me that i shouldn't worry that when he cast the spell on me and my husband that my husband is going to run back to me and that within 3weeks am going to get pregnant,so i did the little he ask me to do and behold it all work out,my husband run back to me and right now we have Twins boy and a girl,so all thanks to Dr Guru you're indeed a great spell caster, in case anyone needs help here is his email address; drgurulovespelltemple@yahoo.com His spells is for a better life OR whatsapp him now +2349023365076

    ReplyDelete