Thursday, January 3, 2013

Perfect Peace- Brittany

I am not typically one to read many daily reading types of books (because I forget to read them daily), but I have been so inspired by how relevant and convicting the readings are from Jesus Calling.  The reading from December 29 has come to my mind everyday since I read it almost a week ago and I wanted to share it with you today:




TRUST ME with every fiber of your being! What I can accomplish in and through you is proportional to how much you depend on Me. One aspect of this is the degree to which you trust Me in a crisis or major decision. Some people fail miserably here, while others are at their best in tough times. Another aspect is even more telling: the constancy of your trust in Me. People who rely on Me in the midst of adversity may forget about Me when life is flowing smoothly. Difficult times can jolt you into awareness of your need for Me, whereas smooth sailing can lull you into the stupor of self-sufficiency. I care as much about your tiny trust-steps through daily life as about your dramatic leaps of faith. You may think that no one notices, but the One who is always beside you sees everything—and rejoices. Consistently trusting in Me is vital to flourishing in My Presence... 
When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?
PSALM 56 : 3 – 4  
Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
PSALM 62 : 8  
You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.
ISAIAH 26 : 3 – 4
 
Young, Sarah (2004-10-12). Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence (p. 381). Thomas Nelson. 

This is me exactly.  I've heard people talk about both sides of the coin here- is it easier to have faith in God when times are good or when times are bad?  For me, it's the bad times, hands down no question.  When I find myself desolate and broken or at the end of my rope, I realize that there is absolutely nothing that I could possibly do to get myself out of the mess I have found myself in.  No act of mortal man can revive my state of affairs or my callused heart or whatever the case may be when things are hard.  But when things are going well, my pride gets in the way of my faithfulness flourishing in God's presence.  While others are great at looking at their elevated position and thanking God for giving them such blessings; and when things get hard may cry "Where is God when I need him most?"  Every person is different here. I personally feel a kind of spiritual adrenaline in a crisis.

But I am terrible with the consistency part of things.  In the last few months I have felt so very close to God.  I have felt both deep sadness and overwhelming peace in his presence.  I am desperate for prayer and scripture- to be in the presence of Jesus.  But still I am terrible with consistency.  We are fluctuating now between crisis mode and "new normal" mode, so consistency is still something I struggle with.  

I am so encouraged by the idea of God keeping "in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast," and long for that so desperately.  I feel that perfect peace being breathed into me.  And yet I wonder how much greater it could be if my mind truly was steadfast in receiving the gifts God is already giving.  

I hope you can also be encouraged by the perfect peace of God.  Whether you find yourself in the midst of crisis or enjoying a season of blessing, God is keeping you in his perfect peace as we learn to consistently flourish in his presence.


Happy 2013 :)

Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Brittany and John -- heard about you through Kyle Thomas and want you to know that I am praying for the 2 of you and your precious baby; praying that you will find comfort in knowing that God sees and hears. He is very aware of what you are going through. He is a faithful and just God. I am asking for His mercy to pour out over you today and in the days to come.
    Ps. 10:17 "You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry..."
    Grace and peace as you wait upon the Lord,
    Susan E.

    ReplyDelete