Thursday, June 11, 2015

The First Check-In

I had my first check in and lab work this week since starting my new medicine. I've been taking it about 2 and a half weeks and have noticed very few side effects. There was a laundry list of things that could possibly happen ranging from manageable things like heartburn to obscure and awkward like yellow skin (not jaundice- yellow skin!). Whatever ends up happening in the long run, I will fully embrace and find a way to deal with because, well, I have to. But so far I've only seen a couple manageable side effects! Such an answered prayer.

There are also a few lab results that can become abnormal and potential blood pressure problems, so I have to go get those things checked in the clinic at Vanderbilt every 2 weeks for the next 2 months. All labs and vitals came back normal! So at this point there have been very few side effects at all. Most side effects develop in the first 2 months, so after the 2 month mark it is unlikely that a new side effect will develop.

Typically any appointment I go to at this point is depressing and exhausting. It's hard to find childcare for CJ, the clinic is cold and sad, and I have to talk about things that I spend most of my time trying not to think about. Not really party central.

But this time we decided to take her with us! I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, probably because it feels strange to take a toddler to your cancer appointment. She brought the party for sure. The coloring party, the dance party, the marching party, the selfie party… you name it, she partied it.

And it was awesome.






I took her back to the lab with me to see if I could potentially bring her by myself in the future. When I got my "big shot" she also wanted a big shot, and to hold the blood viles, and to have a big bandaid. So she sweet talked the nurse into giving her a "boo boo" too.

Then our wait for the doctor was full of dancing and blueberries, and then watching the videos of said dancing and blueberries. (I wanted to include that video here, but it wouldn't upload, so you can go see it on my Facebook instead)


What I'm trying to say here that little tiny miracle baby that made us aware of the problem in the first place is helping is giving us the joy and courage we need to get through it even now. These appointments that I hate are not nearly as hard with tickle fights and giggles during them. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, beautifully photographed. God is manifesting His incredible beauty and power and joy through you two. Sending you big squeezing hugs. Thank you for sharing your joy with us. Our prayers for you continue.

    ReplyDelete